At Key Stage 3 students study a core programme of Computing once per week in Year 7 and Year 8, and once per fortnight in Year 9. Over this time they study the following units:
- Office documents and Cloud computing
- Visual programming and animation
- Games design (using Kodu Game Lab)
- Programming with the BBC Micro Bits
- Programming Constructs (Advanced Scratch)
- Web Design using HTML
- Text-based programming using Python
- Computer Hardware
- Basic Binary
Students can choose an ICT based early entry GCSE. Currently this is the ECDL qualification, which has proved a popular choice over the last two academic years.
In October 2016 we ran a hacking workshop using Raspberry Pi's as part of the Year 9 collapsed timetable day.
There are a number of competitions that take place in KS3 such as a Google Doodles and the Kodu Cup, which is an X Factor-style competition which tests the best computer games created in Year 8 lessons and is judged by a staff panel.